Thursday, September 10, 2009

Master of Something

Today while playing golf my buddy said his goal was to be perfect at just one thing. While neither of us have a chance in hell of shooting under 80 in regulation golf, he felt he could par a small nine hole course if he kept at it. Maybe so. But could he repeat it the next day? I doubt it.
My idea of playing golf is to be perfect at having fun. Haven't done that yet either. Ego pops up just when my accuracy declines. Golf is a sport and sport it is. If a non professional golfer can't have fun on the course, why play at all?
If I am trying to master something at my advancing age, it is mastering the moment to embrace the joy in whatever I'm doing or not doing. I feel joy just lying in bed knowing I don't have to roll out at the crack of dawn to work. I am mastering more moments.
When I don't get angry at myself for a bad shot, I'll have mastered golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment